Victoria Police Department Historical Information
Interesting Facts From the Past
In a Traffic Law Enforcement Survey written in December 1949, some interesting facts about the Victoria Police Department were listed. The estimated population of the city was 20,000. The Police Department consisted of "13 ½ men, including 1 ½ radio dispatchers supported by the City." The pay scale was $180 per month for each officer, with the motorcycle officer receiving an extra $5.00/month. The Police Department operated 3 police cars and one motorcycle, including the Chief's car. Police Headquarters consisted of one office, 12' x 13' (156 total square feet).
The office of the Chief of Police was first established by Council in 1950. The 1950 City Ordinance establishing the position was repealed in 1955, with an ordinance setting out the Marshal as the "ex-officio Chief of Police". The office of the Chief of Police was later reinstated.
For many years, the Police Department was housed in a two story building at the location where the new Victoria County courthouse is now located. The building, which was the ex-county jail, held a jail which consisted of one juvenile cell, one female cell (both on the second floor) and a large tank for adult males (on the first floor). The facility was complete with a hanging ring, where a rope was placed through for executions to take place. A sign was located outside showing it to be the Police Department. On the sign were lights: green (which was normally lit) and red (which was lit for 24 hours following a traffic fatality). One parking space for police cars existed.
The Police Department was housed for a short period of time at the location where Victoria’s Incredible Pizza on Navarro is now found. It was a "make-shift" facility that was used while the current facility was being constructed. This "make-shift" location had jail cells constructed from cutting the old cells from the previous building, welding them back together and setting them on the floor. The current building was finished and occupied on September 20, 1966.